Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Bienenstich Cupcakes

I saw a recipe online for Bienenstich cake (Bee Sting Cake) and got way too excited about it.  This is one of my favorite desserts.  The dough varies some between recipes, but a few things are constant:  The honey glaze, the custardy filling, and the almond slices.  Without even knowing what it is, I'm sure it sounds delicious

The new big thing seems to be cupcakes.  Cupcake shops are popping up everywhere.  Cupcakes Wars is a huge tv show.  They've even started showing up in Germany! 

I decided that I wanted to try to make the cake recipe into a cupcake recipe - I used the same recipe, but a shorter bake time, a cupcake tray, and so improvisation with the filling.


Bienenstich Cupcakes
Rolled the batter/dough into 12 little balls that filled about half of the cupcakes.  The right is the plain dough.  The left has honey drizzled on it.
Bienenstich Cupcakes
Almonds go one top after the honey - The left is only honey, the right has almonds.  You can see I went overboard with the honey.  This caused problems later.


Bienenstich Cupcakes
Glazed, almonded, and ready to pop in the oven.
Bienenstich Cupcakes
Fresh out of the oven.  Those of you good at math with notice that only 11 survived.
Bienenstich Cupcakes
The casualty of the group.  This is the problem with using too much honey - it seeped through the paper linings and stuck to the tray.  Nothing I did could get this out in one piece.  Next time I'll use the metallic liners.
You can also see here how bready the dough actually is.  Next time I'll change the recipe some to make the dough lighter.


Bienenstich Cupcakes
Components of the "filling".  On the left is the custard.  On the right is whipped cream to fill in.
Note where the recipe says to be cautious when pour the milk in for the custard.  I set off the smoke alarm in my tiny apartment because the steam came up so quickly - and I was going really slow.

Bienenstich Cupcakes
The finished filling - tasted sooooo good.  I'd recommend not doing the filling until you're ready to serve.  I had mine sitting for almost a day before serving and it got pretty liquidy.  If I do it got cupcakes again, I'll probably put something  like confectioner's sugar in it to stiffen it more so it's more like a frosting.

Bienenstich Cupcakes
Finished product!  for the cake, you cut the cake and put the filling in the middle.  It made more sense here to drizzle on top.  Not the prettiest thing ever, but tastes so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment